Chicken & Kale Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
The shredded kale is wonderful tossed in the honey mustard dressing and tastes sublime with the salty bacon, chicken and easy homemade croutons. A hearty main salad.
Serves: 4 as a main course salad or 6-8 as a side salad
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
½ rustic style baguette loaf, sliced
olive oil spray or olive oil to brush
200g rindless long bacon
1 small bbq chicken, skin removed meat shredded
4 leaves kale, stalks removed, leaves thinly shredded (4 cups)
1 head baby cos lettuce, torn (optional)
½ cup Birch & Waite Honey Mustard Dressing
60g shaved parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place slices of baguette on a baking tray and lightly spray or brush with olive oil. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden and crisp. Break each piece into 4 small pieces to make croutons.
2. Meanwhile, lightly spray or brush a large frying pan with olive oil. Heat over medium heat and cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Drain fat and pat bacon with paper towel to remove fat. Roughly chop into pieces.
3. Gently toss together the kale, lettuce (optional), chicken and croutons with Birch & Waite Honey Mustard Dressing. Sprinkle with bacon and parmesan and serve.
Other ideas for great quick salads:
Chicken, Corn & Pasta Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
- Grill the bacon as an alternative to pan-frying.
- Instead of bbq chicken, use 2 boneless chicken breasts, butterflied & cooked 4-6 mins on each side or until cooked through.
- Instead of kale, replace with baby cos lettuce.
Toss together cooked and cooled bow tie pasta, shredded bbq chicken, defrosted frozen corn kernels and honey mustard dressing. Serve on a bed of baby spinach & rocket mix. Scatter with crisp shards of prosciutto, or some shredded ham. You could also add some slices of avocado.