Hot Smoked Salmon, Caramelised Leek & Baby Potato Salad
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 4 hot smoked salmon fillets, boneless,
skin on. 100g ea approx
- 600g baby potatoes, unpeeled
- 160g caramelised leek and onion
- 1 whole leek trimmed, halved and washed finely sliced
- 1 whole brown onion peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp canola oil or similar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 120g rocket and spinach leaves
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest (optional)
- 4 tbsp parsley leaves picked
- 160g Birch & Waite Rich Tartare Seafood Sauce
1. Place the baby potatoes in a large pan and cover with col water, bring to the boil and cook until tender (when pierced with a knife). Refresh in ice-cold or cold running water, drain, slice into small thumb sized pieces and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and sliced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes turning regularly, until well softened. Add the sugar to the pan along with 1/2 cup of water, stir and cover, and cook for a further 8 minutes until golden brown and caramelised. Remove from pan, chill and set aside for later.
3. To assemble the salad, combine the mixed leaf, picked parsley leaves and lemon zest (optional), add tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt and a twist of ground black pepper. Toss gently until well coated and set aside.
4. To serve place the mixed leaf salad in the base of a large platter or divide into 4 bowls, top with the baby potatoes and caramelised leeks. Gently flake the hot smoked salmon over the top into bite size pieces. To finish garnish with a good drizzle of the Birch & Waite Rich Tartare Seafood Sauce. Finish with parsley. Serve immediately.