Mark Best's KFC Burger with Birch & Waite Whole Egg Mayonnaise
|Fish Sauce||2 tbsp|
|Soy Sauce||2 tbsp|
|Grated Ginger||2 tsp|
|Finely Chopped Garlic||2 tsp|
|Rice Vinegar||2 tbsp|
|Gochujang (Korean Chili Paste)||4 tbsp|
|Korean Chilli Flakes||1 tbsp|
|Chicken Thigh Fillets (Without Skin)||8|
|Salt & Pepper|
|Plain Flour||50 g|
|Rice Flour||60 g|
|Tapioca Starch Or Corn Starch||60 g|
|Cooking Oil, For Deep Frying||1 l|
|Potato Or Hamburger Buns||4|
|Cabbage Kimchi||1 cup|
|Whole Egg Mayonnaise||1 cup|
- MAKE THE SAUCE: Mix together fish sauce, soy sauce, ginger, honey, rice vinegar, gochujang and ketchup in a saucepan. Heat over a moderate flame until bubbling, then leave to cool.
- FOR THE CHICKEN: Use a sharp knife to lightly score the silver skin of thigh fillets using a cross hatch patter. Using a kitchen mallet or rolling pin, pound the chicken fillets to quarter inch thickness between sheets of cling film. Season well with salt & pepper.
- Roll chicken in plain flour, shake of excess. Mix tapioca or corn starch with rice flour, xanthum and water to make a thin batter. It is best to use a wand blender to activate xanthum.
- TO COOK: Poor oil into a deep pan and heat to medium 170°C. Dip each chicken piece in batter and fry for 2-3 minutes until crisp. Transfer to a rack and cool for five minutes. Heat the oil to 180°C and fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes more or until golden. Dip chicken in sauce to coat on all sides and then put aside.
- FOR THE MAYONNAISE: Add nori to a blender and grind to a powder. Mix well with Birch & Waite Whole Egg Mayonnaise.
- TO SERVE: Cut buns in half and cook cut-side down in a fry pan until golden. Top with a generous dollop of Nori Mayonnaise. Add chicken filets, the top of the bun and press down firmly. Serve with a side of kimchi. Enjoy!
Recipe created by Mark Best for Birch & Waite
Explore Our Recipes
Looking for some inspiration to enhance your menu? Our recipes have been hand selected to help you elevate your menu with authentic flavours and fresh ideas.